Maintaining a well-manicured lawn requires the use of several tools, including a string trimmer and an edger. When choosing between a string trimmer vs edger, our top pick is the WORX GT Revolution 20V 12″ String Trimmer Grass Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower.
While both products serve the same purpose of keeping your lawn neat and tidy, they have different features and functions that make them unique. It is essential to consider the size of your lawn, the type of vegetation you need to trim, and the level of precision you require.
For example, if you have a large lawn with thick weeds and grass, a gas-powered string trimmer may be the best option. However, if you need to create a precise edge between your lawn and pavement, an electric or gas-powered edger may be the better choice.
String trimmers are versatile tools that can be used to trim grass, weeds, and other vegetation in hard-to-reach areas. They come in different types, including gas-powered, electric, and battery-powered models.
Gas-powered string trimmers are the most powerful and are ideal for large lawns, while electric and battery-powered models are suitable for smaller lawns.
On the other hand, edgers are designed to create a clean and defined edge between your lawn and pavement or flower beds. They are available in different types, including manual, electric, and gas-powered models.
Manual edgers are the most affordable but require more effort to use, while electric and gas-powered models are more powerful and easier to use.
In conclusion, both string trimmers and edgers are essential tools for maintaining a well-manicured lawn. By understanding the differences between the two, you can choose the right tool for your specific needs and achieve the desired results.
String Trimmer vs Edger: Which One is Right for You?
When it comes to maintaining a neat and tidy lawn, having the right tools can make all the difference. String trimmers and edgers are both popular options for keeping grass and weeds under control, but they serve different purposes.
String trimmers are great for cutting down tall grass and weeds in hard-to-reach areas, while edgers are designed to create clean, sharp lines along driveways, sidewalks, and garden beds.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the pros and cons of each tool and highlight some of the best products on the market.
The WORX GT Revolution 20V 12″ String Trimmer Grass Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower is a versatile tool that can transform from a string trimmer to a wheeled edger to a mini-mower.
- The Command Feed technology allows for automatic fresh lines, so you can add more lines as needed without stopping, making the job quicker and easier.
- The 7 handle adjustments and 6 rotating head settings make this grass trimmer a comfortable and flexible tool that can be used in many hard-to-reach places.
- The 4.0 Ah Powershare battery has twice the runtime of the battery that used to come with this lawn trimmer, so you can trim, edge, and mini-mow more.
- Some users have reported that the automatic feed does not always work properly, causing the line to get jammed or tangled.
- The trimmer head is not very durable and may need to be replaced frequently.
- The cutting width is only 12 inches, which may not be sufficient for larger lawns or yards.
Overall, the WORX GT Revolution 20V 12″ String Trimmer Grass Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower is a great choice for those who want a versatile lawn tool that can handle multiple tasks.
However, users should be aware of the potential issues with the automatic feed and the durability of the trimmer head.
This versatile cordless trimmer and edger is a great option for those looking for an easy-to-use tool to maintain their lawn and garden.
- Converts easily from trimmer to wheeled edger
- 2-speed control for more power or extended runtime
- Easy feed feature allows you to advance your line with the push of a button
- Batteries may require frequent recharging
- Line diameter may not be suitable for heavy-duty use
- Guard may not be as effective as desired
This BLACK+DECKER LSTE525 trimmer and edger is part of the 20V Max System, making it a versatile tool for all your lawn care needs.
The Power Drive Transmission increases torque for more cutting power at the string, while the 2-speed control allows you to choose between more power or extended runtime.
One of the standout features of this tool is the easy feed feature, which allows you to advance your line with the push of a button, eliminating the need for bumping.
The tool easily converts from a trimmer to a wheeled edger, making it a great option for those who need to maintain borders, sidewalks, and flower beds.
While the batteries included with this tool may require frequent recharging, the 2 included lithium-ion batteries provide ample runtime to get the job done.
The line diameter of 0.065 inches may not be suitable for heavy-duty use but is perfect for maintaining a well-manicured lawn.
Overall, the BLACK+DECKER LSTE525 String Trimmer/Edger is a reliable and easy-to-use tool for maintaining your lawn and garden.
3. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX* POWERCONNECT 10 in. 2in1 Cordless String Trimmer/Edger + Sweeper Combo Kit (LCC222) 20V Kit w/ 2 Batteries
If you’re looking for a versatile lawn care tool that can handle both trimming and edging, BLACK+DECKER’s 2in1 cordless string trimmer/edger + sweeper combo kit is worth considering.
This lightweight and easy-to-use kit includes a 10 in. cordless string trimmer/edger that can easily rotate 180 degrees and a hard-surface sweeper that is ideal for clearing driveways, sidewalks, decks, and garages of grass clippings, leaves, and other debris.
- The AFS AUTOMATIC FEED SPOOL automatically feeds the trimmer line, so no bumping is required, making trimming and edging seamless and uninterrupted.
- The adjustable height and soft-grip handle provide convenient, customizable comfort and control for extended use.
- Both tools utilize a powerful and efficient 20V MAX* POWERCONNECT, and when you’re finished using one tool, simply insert the battery into the next, or use another battery that’s fully charged. This kit includes 2 long-lasting batteries that are also compatible with other tools within the system.
- The sweeper is not suitable for heavy-duty debris removal, and may not be sufficient for larger outdoor spaces.
- Some users have reported that the string trimmer/edger can be difficult to adjust and may require some trial and error to get the perfect height and angle.
- The battery life may not be sufficient for larger or more demanding outdoor spaces, and additional batteries may need to be purchased.
Overall, the BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX* POWERCONNECT 10 in. 2 in 1 Cordless String Trimmer/Edger + Sweeper Combo Kit (LCC222) is a solid choice for those looking for a versatile and lightweight lawn care tool.
The automatic feed spool and adjustable height and handle make it easy to use for extended periods of time, and the interchangeable battery system ensures that you’re always ready to tackle your outdoor space.
If you’re looking for a powerful and versatile tool to keep your lawn looking great, the Worx String Trimmer Cordless, Edger 40V Power Share Weed Trimmer 13″ may be just what you need.
- The 40V Power Share system provides double the power of most string trimmers, giving you gas-like performance without the hassle of dealing with gas and oil.
- The Command Feed spool system makes it easy to add more lines when you need it, so you can keep working without stopping.
- The adjustable D-grip handle and pivoting head make it easy to work from any angle, so you can get the perfect cut every time.
- Some users have reported that the batteries don’t last as long as they expected, so you may need to keep an extra set charged and ready to go.
- The trimmer may be a bit heavy for some users, especially when using it for extended periods of time.
- The spool may be a bit difficult to load at first, but once you get the hang of it, it’s not too bad.
This trimmer/edger is easy to use and provides professional-grade results. The 40V Power Share system is a real game-changer, providing plenty of power to tackle even the toughest grass and weeds.
The Command Feed spool system is also a nice touch, making it easy to add more lines when you need it without having to stop and fiddle with the spool.
The adjustable D-grip handle and pivoting head also make it easy to work from any angle, so you can get the perfect cut every time. Whether you’re trimming around flower beds or edging along the sidewalk, this tool makes it easy to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Overall, if you’re looking for a powerful and versatile trimmer/edger that can handle just about anything you throw at it, the Worx String Trimmer Cordless, Edger 40V Power Share Weed Trimmer 13″ is definitely worth considering.
The WORX 20V 12″ Cordless GT 3.0 String Trimmer & Edger is a great investment for those who want a versatile tool that can handle both trimming and edging.
- The 2-in-1 feature allows for easy conversion from a string trimmer to a wheeled edger in just seconds.
- The Command Feed spool system provides instant line feeding at the press of a button, and with Free Spools for Life, you can press the button all you want.
- The adjustable spacer guard keeps your flowers and plants protected while trimming.
- The 10′ cutting line length may not be enough for larger yards.
- The 5.3 lbs. machine weight may be too heavy for some users.
- The 0.065″ line diameter may not be sufficient for tougher weeds.
The WORX 20V 12″ Cordless GT 3.0 String Trimmer & Edger is perfect for those who want a tool that can handle both trimming and edging with ease.
The rubberized wheels provide traction and support for even, professional-looking lines when edging, while the head tilts 90° so you can trim on uneven patches of lawn.
The 7600 rpm no-load speed and 12″ cutting diameter makes quick work of trimming tasks, and the adjustable spacer guard ensures that your plants and landscape features stay protected.
The two powerful and lightweight 20V Power Share MaxLithium batteries that come with this tool can be used on any other tool in the WORX PowerShare family, making this a great investment for those who already own WORX tools.
Overall, the WORX 20V 12″ Cordless GT 3.0 String Trimmer & Edger Weed Trimmer is a great investment for those who want a versatile tool that can handle both trimming and edging with ease.
When choosing between a string trimmer and an edger, there are a few key features to consider. These features can help you determine which product will best suit your needs.
The first thing to consider is the power source of the tool. String trimmers and edgers can be powered by gas, electricity, or batteries.
Gas-powered tools are typically the most powerful, but they require more maintenance and emit fumes. Electric tools are generally less powerful, but they are quieter and more environmentally friendly.
Battery-powered tools offer the convenience of cordless operation, but they may not have the same level of power as gas or electric tools.
You might also be interested in checking out our detailed comparison guide for hedge trimmer with battery vs gas.
The cutting width is another important feature to consider. This refers to the width of the cutting head on the tool. A wider cutting width can help you cover more ground quickly, but it may also be more difficult to maneuver in tight spaces.
Consider the size of your yard and the areas that you need to trim or edge when choosing a cutting width.
For edgers, the cutting depth is an important consideration. This refers to how deep the tool can cut into the ground. A deeper cutting depth can help you create a more defined edge, but it may also be more difficult to control.
Consider the type of edging you want to do and the condition of your lawn when choosing a cutting depth.
Finally, consider any additional features that may be important to you. For example, some string trimmers come with adjustable handles or telescoping shafts to make them more comfortable to use.
Some edgers have adjustable blades or wheels to help you create the perfect edge. Look for features that will make the tool easier to use and more effective for your specific needs.
By considering these key features, you can choose the best string trimmer or edger for your lawn care needs (find out more details on edger vs trimmer here).
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the primary differences between a string trimmer and a lawn edger?
String trimmers are designed to cut grass and weeds in areas that are difficult to reach with a lawnmower. They use a rotating string to cut through vegetation and are typically used to trim around trees, fences, and other obstacles.
Lawn edgers, on the other hand, are designed to create clean, precise edges along sidewalks, driveways, and other hardscapes. They use a blade to cut through grass and create a defined edge.
Can I achieve the same results with a string trimmer as I would with a dedicated edger?
While it is possible to use a string trimmer to create edges, the results may not be as clean or precise as those achieved with a dedicated edger. String trimmers are designed to cut grass, and may not be able to create the same level of detail as a blade edger.
What are the advantages of using an edger over a string trimmer for lawn maintenance?
Edgers are designed specifically for creating clean, precise edges along hardscapes. They are typically faster and more efficient than using a string trimmer for this task.
Additionally, edgers are less likely to damage hardscapes than string trimmers, which can throw debris and cause scuff marks.
Are combination edger and trimmer tools effective for regular lawn care?
Combination edger and trimmer tools can be effective for regular lawn care, but they may not be as efficient or precise as dedicated tools. If you have a small lawn or limited storage space, a combination tool may be a good option.
However, if you have a large lawn or want the most precise edges possible, dedicated tools may be a better choice.
How do gas-powered and electric string trimmers compare to edgers in terms of performance?
Gas-powered string trimmers and edgers are typically more powerful than their electric counterparts and can handle larger jobs more efficiently. However, they are also louder and emit more exhaust fumes.
Electric string trimmers and edgers are quieter and produce no emissions, but may not be as powerful as gas-powered tools.
For precise lawn edges, should I invest in a blade edger instead of a string trimmer?
If you want the most precise edges possible, a blade edger is the best choice. Blade edgers are designed specifically for creating clean, precise edges along hardscapes, and can handle a variety of grass types and thicknesses.
However, if you have a small lawn or limited storage space, a string trimmer may be a good alternative.