Choosing between an edger vs trimmer depends on your specific needs and preferences. Both tools are essential for maintaining a well-manicured lawn, and they can make a significant difference in the overall appearance of your property. Our top pick is the WORX WG184.9.
Maintaining a well-manicured lawn is a source of pride for many homeowners. To achieve a polished look, one must pay attention to the small details, such as the edges of the lawn.
This is where edgers and trimmers come in. Both tools are designed to give your lawn a clean and finished look, but they work in slightly different ways.
Edgers are used to create a distinct boundary between the lawn and any hard surfaces, such as driveways or walkways. They are typically equipped with a vertical spinning blade that cuts through grass and soil to create a clean, sharp edge.
Edgers are ideal for creating a clear separation between the lawn and any surrounding hardscaping, and they can also be used to create a defined edge around flower beds or other landscaping features.
On the other hand, trimmers are designed to cut back overgrown grass and weeds in hard-to-reach areas, such as around trees, fences, and other obstacles.
They typically have a horizontal spinning blade that can be adjusted to different angles, allowing you to trim grass and weeds in tight spaces. Trimmers are also useful for maintaining the edges of the lawn, but they are less effective at creating a clean, sharp boundary.
When choosing between an edger and a trimmer, there are a few critical factors to consider. First, consider the size of your lawn and the amount of edging you need to do.
If you have a large lawn with extensive hardscaping features, an edger may be the better choice. If you only need to trim around a few trees and obstacles, a trimmer may be sufficient.
Another factor to consider is the type of power source. Edgers and trimmers can be powered by gas, electricity, or batteries.
Gas-powered tools are typically more powerful, but they are also louder and require more maintenance. Electric and battery-powered tools are quieter and easier to maintain, but they may not be as powerful.
Edger vs Trimmer: Which One is Right for You?
When it comes to maintaining a well-manicured lawn, having the right tools is essential. Two of the most common tools used for lawn care are edgers and trimmers. While they may seem similar, there are some key differences between the two.
An edger is designed to create a clean and precise edge along sidewalks, driveways, and flower beds. A trimmer, on the other hand, is used to cut grass and weeds in tight spaces or areas that a lawnmower cannot reach.
In this article, we will be highlighting the best edgers and trimmers on the market to help you decide which one is right for your lawn care needs.
This versatile 2-in-1 trimmer and edger is a great investment for those looking to save time and money. With its powerful motor and modern technology, it can leave your lawn looking crisp and clean.
- The trimmer and edger combo saves time and money by eliminating the need to buy a separate edger.
- It’s easy to convert from a trimmer to an edger in seconds.
- The same battery can be used to power over 75+ 20V, 40V, and 80V lifestyle, garden, and power tools in the Power Share family.
- The battery life is not long enough to complete all the trimming work at once.
- The auto-line feed can be inconsistent at times.
- The spool that comes with the tool may not last very long and may need to be replaced frequently.
This trimmer/edger combo is cordless, so you can travel around the yard without getting snagged or having to stay close to an outlet. It’s much cleaner, quieter, and less expensive to operate than a gas-powered tool.
The 12” cutting diameter is wide enough to quickly trim over large patches of grass, yet it’s nimble enough to trim between trees, bushes, and other landscaping elements.
The pivoting head tilts up to 90°, making it easier to get under bushes and trim on sloped land than with other trimmers. The telescopic shaft extends to accommodate taller users and collapses back down, making it easy to store in the off-season.
The adjustable handle allows you to find a comfortable working position for your hands and gain leverage when trimming in hard-to-reach areas.
The flower guard protects plants and lawn decorations with its adjustable spacer guard, allowing you to get right to the edge for a close trim without having to worry about nicking anything accidentally.
Overall, the WORX WG162 20V Power Share 12″ Cordless String Trimmer & Lawn Edger is a great investment for those looking to save time and money while keeping their lawn looking neat and tidy.
If you’re looking for a versatile trimmer and edger that can handle any terrain, the WORX WG184.9 40V Power Share 13″ Cordless String Trimmer & Wheeled Edger is a great option.
With an innovative line feed mechanism and the ability to quickly switch between trimming and edging, this 2-in-1 tool can provide professional-looking results to any yard.
- The dual 20V power module batteries deliver 40V power and performance.
- The innovative Command feed spool system allows for instant line feeding with the click of a button.
- The pivoting cutting head and straight shaft design can tackle any terrain.
- This model is a tool only, so batteries and the charger are sold separately.
- The no-load speed of 7500/min may not be as fast as some other models on the market.
- Assembly is not required, but it may take some time to figure out how to use the wheels and other features.
If you’re looking for a trimmer and edger that can handle any job, the WORX WG184.9 is a great choice. The dual 20V power module batteries deliver 40V power and performance, making it easy to tackle even the toughest jobs.
The innovative Command feed spool system also makes it easy to feed lines instantly with the click of a button, so you don’t have to worry about bumping or waiting for auto-feed solutions.
The pivoting cutting head and straight shaft design also make it easy to tackle any terrain, whether you’re trimming around trees or edging along sidewalks.
And with the ability to quickly switch between trimming and edging, you can get professional-looking results in no time.
However, it’s important to note that this model is a tool only, so batteries and chargers are sold separately. Additionally, the no-load speed of 7500/min may not be as fast as some other models on the market.
While assembly is not required, it may take some time to figure out how to use the wheels and other features.
Overall, if you’re looking for a versatile trimmer and edger that can handle any job, the WORX WG184.9 is a great choice. With its innovative features and powerful performance, it’s sure to make your lawn care tasks a breeze.
This Worx electric string trimmer and edger is a great choice for those looking for a versatile and easy-to-use tool to keep their lawn looking sharp.
- The 2-in-1 feature allows for easy switching between trimming and edging, eliminating the need for separate tools.
- The dual-line feed system ensures fresh trimmer string is always available at the perfect length.
- The telescopic shaft and adjustable handle make it comfortable and easy to use for users of all sizes.
- The automatic line feed can sometimes be inconsistent, leading to frustration for some users.
- The 5.5-amp motor may not be powerful enough for heavy-duty trimming jobs.
- The flower guard can get in the way when trimming in tight spaces.
This Worx electric string trimmer and edger is a great choice for those looking for a versatile and easy-to-use tool to keep their lawn looking sharp. With its 2-in-1 feature, users can easily switch between trimming and edging, eliminating the need for separate tools.
The dual-line feed system ensures fresh trimmer string is always available at the perfect length, making trimming a breeze. The telescopic shaft and adjustable handle make it comfortable and easy to use for users of all sizes.
However, the automatic line feed can sometimes be inconsistent, leading to frustration for some users. Additionally, the 5.5-amp motor may not be powerful enough for heavy-duty trimming jobs. Finally, the flower guard can get in the way when trimming in tight spaces.
Overall, the Worx WG119 5.5 Amp 15″ Electric String Trimmer & Edger is a solid choice for those looking for an easy-to-use and versatile tool to keep their lawn looking neat and tidy.
If you’re looking for a versatile tool that can handle your lawn maintenance needs, the Worx GT Revolution 20V 12″ String Trimmer Grass Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower is a great option.
With its 3-in-1 functionality, you can easily transform it from a precision string trimmer to a powerful in-line wheeled edger or a nimble mini-mower.
- The Command Feed technology of the grass trimmer allows you to add more lines as needed, just by pushing a button, so you don’t have to stop and can get the job done quicker.
- With 7 handle adjustments and 6 rotating head settings, the string trimmer is comfortable and flexible, making it ideal for use all day and in many hard-to-reach places.
- The twin rubberized wheels of the lawn edger make for straighter edging and easier mini-mowing. You’ll get professional-looking results with the extra balance.
- The battery needs charging every other use for small yards, or once a month considering it comes with a spare.
- The cordless string trimmer can protect your flowers and lawn ornaments, but it may potentially damage them if not used carefully.
- While the charger that comes with this cordless trimmer is faster, it may not be as durable as other chargers.
The Worx GT Revolution 20V 12″ String Trimmer Grass Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower is a great investment for those who want a versatile lawn maintenance tool that can handle different tasks with ease.
With its 3-in-1 functionality and adjustable settings, you can use it for various applications and get professional-looking results. However, keep in mind that the battery needs charging frequently, and the charger may not be as durable as other models.
5. WORX 20V String Trimmer Cordless & Edger 3.0 + Leaf Blower Cordless with Battery and Charger Turbine, Black and Orange 20V Grass Trimmer & Blower Combo
This combo kit is perfect for anyone looking for a lightweight and powerful grass trimmer and leaf blower.
- The trimmer can easily convert into an edger with just a pivot of the head, making it a 2-in-1 tool.
- The kit comes with two Power Share 20V Li-ion 2.0Ah batteries and a quick charger, ensuring that you always have juice for these two lawn & garden tools or any tool on the Worx Power Share platform.
- The TURBINE cordless leaf blower has two speeds so you can execute different debris-clearing jobs efficiently.
- The battery life is average, so you may need to recharge or switch out batteries during a large job.
- The trimmer/edger may not be suitable for larger yards or heavy-duty jobs.
- The blower’s power may not be strong enough for very large debris.
This Worx combo kit is perfect for those with smaller yards or those who need a lightweight and easy-to-use grass trimmer and leaf blower.
The 2-in-1 trimmer and edger feature makes it easy to switch between tasks, and the two-speed blower is perfect for different debris-clearing jobs. However, the battery life may not be suitable for larger jobs, and the blower’s power may not be strong enough for very large debris.
Overall, this combo kit is a great value for those looking for a reliable and efficient lawn care tool.
When choosing between an edger and a trimmer, there are a few key features that should be considered to ensure that the product meets the user’s needs.
The first consideration is the power source. Both edgers and trimmers can be powered by electricity, gas, or battery. Electric-powered models are lightweight and easy to use but require an electrical outlet.
Gas-powered models provide more power but can be heavier and emit fumes. Battery-powered models are convenient and environmentally friendly but may have limited battery life.
Check out our detailed comparison guide for hedge trimmer with battery vs gas.
The cutting width is another important feature to consider. Edgers typically have a wider cutting width than trimmers, making them ideal for creating clean edges along driveways and sidewalks.
Trimmers, on the other hand, are better suited for trimming around trees, flower beds, and other obstacles.
The blade type is another important consideration. Edgers typically have a blade that is perpendicular to the ground, while trimmers have a blade that is parallel to the ground. This difference in blade orientation affects the type of cutting that each tool is best suited for.
Weight and Comfort
Finally, the weight and comfort of the tool should be considered. Edgers and trimmers can be heavy, especially when using gas-powered models. It is important to choose a model that is comfortable to use and does not cause strain or fatigue during use.
By considering these key features, users can choose the best edger or trimmer for their needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main differences between a lawn edger and a string trimmer?
A lawn edger is a tool primarily used to create clean, defined edges along sidewalks, driveways, and garden beds. It typically has a vertical spinning blade that cuts through grass and soil to create a neat border.
On the other hand, a string trimmer is a versatile tool that can be used for edging, trimming, and cutting grass in hard-to-reach areas such as around trees and fences. It uses a horizontal spinning string to cut through grass and weeds.
Here are more details on string trimmer vs edger.
Can an edger be effectively used in place of a trimmer for lawn maintenance?
An edger can be used to trim grass in small, tight spaces, but it is not as effective as a string trimmer for larger areas or for cutting through thick weeds.
The vertical blade of an edger is designed to cut through soil and grass to create a clean edge, but it is not as versatile as a string trimmer when it comes to cutting grass at different angles and heights.
What are the pros and cons of using a gas lawn edger compared to a trimmer?
Gas lawn edgers tend to be more powerful than trimmers and can cut through thicker grass and soil more easily.
However, they are typically heavier and louder than trimmers, which can make them more difficult to use for extended periods of time. Additionally, gas edgers require more maintenance and fuel than trimmers.
How do multi-functional edger trimmer combos compare to standalone units?
Multi-functional edger trimmer combos offer the convenience of having two tools in one, but they may not be as powerful or effective as standalone units.
While they can save space and money, they may not be the best option for those who need a high-powered tool for heavy-duty lawn maintenance.
Are there specific scenarios where a lawn edger outperforms a string trimmer?
Lawn edgers are ideal for creating clean, defined edges along sidewalks, driveways, and garden beds. They are also useful for cutting through hard soil and clay.
However, they are not as versatile as string trimmers when it comes to cutting grass at different angles and heights.
What should be considered when deciding between an electric and a gas-powered edger?
Electric edgers tend to be quieter and more environmentally friendly than gas-powered edgers, but they may not be as powerful. Gas-powered edgers are typically more powerful and can cut through thicker grass and soil, but they require more maintenance and fuel.
Additionally, electric edgers require access to a power source, which can limit their range.